As we celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.’s birth, life and accomplishments, I am reminded of the quote from his famous speech, “I have a dream…” Dreams, if we decide to pursue them, are great sources of positive energy and activity that take our focus away from everyday routine and also give us a reason NOT to turn to drinking or other bad habits in order to feel good.
This past weekend I co-hosted the Mental Bootcamp workshop along with form Navy SEAL Brad McLeod (sealgrinderpt.com). One of the key points was to create your own Solution-Focused Strategy of creating the “You” that you want to be, living the ideal life you visual – instead of focusing on the problem – drinking too much, eating too much, not enough money, bad relationships, etc.
Begin to identify your Dream and start to create a plan to realize that dream. Take ACTION toward accomplishing that Dream. Here are some of the Mental Toughness strategies that Brad shared with us. You can start to apply them to accomplishing YOUR goals and dreams as well:
- BELIEVE IN YOURSELF! – You have to know that you have the ability to do anything you want to do if you want to badly enough – including accomplishing your goals – no matter how crazy they may seem to you now – and even controlling your drinking.
- Find your focus and aim most of your energy toward reaching your target.
- Practice positive self-talk and affirmations instead of constantly criticizing yourself. I know you hear this all the time, BUT START DOING IT!
- Find yourself a mentor and/or a support group. Surround yourself with people that are positive thinkers and will encourage you instead of discourage you…and that are living positive healthy lives, not practicing some of those bad habits that you are trying to move away from.
- Break down your goals and dreams into small, manageable steps. Trying to do too much too fast can set you up for discouragement and a lack of motivation.
- Be coachable – be willing to listen to those that can help you.
- Eat well and take care of your body and you! (Click here for blog on Fitness Goals)